Friday 20 July, 2012

Imagine The Fire

Well I didn't have much to write about, so I didn't write. But for the past week, quite a lot of stuff has been happening and put aside some time to write it down.

It has been a pretty good 2 weeks actually. As Joel McHale retorts to a bully in the TV show Community, I have been "perpetually on the way to the gym" for the last one year. I finally went to the gym and it felt good. I felt like I was putting good use to my spare time. The physical activity also lets me get to sleep better. I have also been watching my diet pretty carefully. Hope it all pays off well and I look good in my convocation pictures.

I also had a guest recently. A friend of mine, who I met in college during my bachelors in India, came to Singapore last Friday. He had also been pursuing masters right after his bachelors, very much like me, but he doing it in Netherlands. He came to Singapore for a 4 month internship and I am happy to see a familiar face in this country after a year. I am not good at making friends and I prefer to stick with people I already know. Since coming to Singapore I can't say that I have made a great friend so I was glad to see him. I let him stay at my place for a couple of days. He hadn't tasted good Indian food for almost a year so it was fun watching him devour food in Singapore's Indian restaurants. Let him enjoy it while it lasts.

I also helped him buy a new phone, a Sony Experia Arc S and from what I've seen, it is pretty good. I wish I could get a phone myself soon, because the receiver in my phone is pretty quiet and I can hardly hear the person speaking on the other end in crowded or noisy places. But it will have to wait till I get a job. I'm thinking about buying a decent and not too expensive smart phone and a tablet as well. Hope I don't have to wait for long.

***

It has also been one year, since I had come to Singapore. I still remember stepping into the Jet Airways flight, well past midnight. I was excited about flying for the first time. Just a couple of weeks before leaving for Singapore, I had serious doubts about how difficult it would be in Singapore. I had doubts about how my career would pan out in a foreign country. I couldn't sleep at night when I thought about it.

But it was fine. It was actually great. I feel that I have learned much more by coming here than what I would have if I stayed in Singapore. Sure I'd have made some money, gained more weight and stayed the way I always was. 

But now I live by myself. That involves a lot of choices that I have to make everyday. I didn't even decide what breakfast I wanted to have when I was in India. I ate whatever my mother made. I never had to think about how healthy it would be or whether I ate too much or too little. Now I can have whatever I want. I can have chicken nuggets every day for the rest of my life (or till I ran out of money) if I wanted, but I choose to eat multi-grain bread loaves and an egg omelet with a glass of fruit juice for breakfast.

I like the way I've evolved since coming to Singapore. There's nothing like coming to a new country as a foreigner and staying there. There is an awful lot to learn and every little thing you do seems like an adventure. 

***

One of the questions I asked my uncle when I came to Singapore was "Are there IMAX theatres in Singapore?"

The reason I asked this question was The Dark Knight Rises. 

And it finally got released today. It is going to be released on 20th July in the US but in Singapore, somehow, it is released on 19th and if I had been going alone, I would have seen it today. But the friend, who I mentioned earlier, wanted to tag along, so I had to postpone it to the weekend. But I've been in an excited state for the past couple of days. Nolan is a genius, he has an exact vision about how he wants his movies to be and he carries out in a manner that can only be described as near perfection. He does what some other Tamil film directors fail to do and that is utilizing the budget to the maximum. You see great directors like Shankar who are given blank cheques literally to make films and he makes huge sets for songs. I know songs are an integral element in the Indian cinema but really, Robot was supposed to be his magnum opus and he probably spent more money on all the song videos than the action sequences. The chase sequence with Rajini stealing away Aishwarya Rai from the wedding was way better as an action sequence in stark contrast to the action scene in the end in which hundreds of robots form on big robot which felt watered down in terms of action and pacing. In my opinion, if Shankar had spent more money on the CGI and added Michael Bay-ish sweeping shots and whirring sounds, the climax scenes would have stood out. I have the same problem with Shankar's previous films as well, with great looking song sets and average action set pieces.

Enough about Shankar, let's get back to Nolan. There have been reviews from Time magazine and other sources and they have been very positive. Reviewers are giving away plot lines and still say that there are twists in the movie so it should be a pretty satisfying watch. Also the movie is two hours and forty five minutes long so it should be epic with a huge story.

For the last two days I have been listening to the original soundtrack by Hans Zimmer and it is impressive. It draws inspiration from both The Dark Knight and Batman Begins. None of the tracks are as distinct as Joker's theme but all the tracks flow as one single stream. But from hearing some sequences and seeing how they are named, you can point out which tracks are going to be the themes for whom. Tracks carry an electric feel and the lack of James Newton Howard's collaboration is evident with no brooding quiet tracks. Batman's theme come only twice or thrice in the whole album and it is utilized cleverly. Bane's theme is menacing and sounds like a track fit for someone who is full of malice.

I look forward to the release of the movie and I will get back to you with a new post once I see it.

***

Obviously the Song of the Week is a soundtrack from TDKR.

 
Hope you watch the movie too. Check back when you do and lets talk about it.

Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment