Wednesday 30 December, 2009

Eating Spree [Includes Vettaikaran review(s)]

Since my last post I've been having so much fun that I forgot to blog. Not that blogging isn't fun, actually, its a lot of fun, you know...sitting before computer, looking at the monitor, pressing all those keys, clicking the mouse and resisting the temptation to see some skin. On second thoughts, blogging is gruesome.

***

I had about two weeks of holidays when my semester ended and I spent one week watching all those movies I missed, 4 days in a factory where they make wheels and the rest of the week in the bed as I was suffering from fever I won't be able to attend the class on. Sorry, old habits die hard.

And so I was saying, my fever ruined my 3 days of fun during which I could have done a lot of things (You can ask why I didn't do all those things I wanted to do in the first week but please don't. I don't have an answer.).

So for Christmas I made a list in my mind to do the things that I missed during those three days. They are:
  1. Eat at McDonald's
  2. Eat at KFC
  3. Eat Hyderabad Biriyani
Though it may seem lame to you (you were probably expecting climb the Everest, resolve the Copenhagen issue, assassinate Vijay...actually the last one isn't such a bad idea is it?), eating something tasty is very improtant to me. Meals at the above places are something people should experience.

Eating at McDonald's is an American tradition. Where else can you can feed your whole family for 5 dollars in the US of A?(not that we are in the US of A but I'm just stating a fact. In India, a meal for one costs Rs. 121 only) Where else do kids get a toy with their meal? Where else can you take a photo of you with a statue of a ridiculous man wearing yellow overalls, red striped sleeves and white face?


KFC is the second best thing from in Louiseville, Kentucky, the first being cervical cancer vaccine. I'm sure your mom can cook chicken, but is it crispy? In KFC, it is. To my knowledge no other restaurant gives a bucket to carry your chicken.

Enough of America, lets talk about India. I know that there's a lot of stuff going on in Hyderabad like hunger strikes. But fortunately, Hyderabad isn't the only place where they make Hyderabad Biriyani. Its available in Chennai too. Since I have never eaten Hyderabad Biriyani (In fact, I have never eaten Hyderabad-anything), its third on my list. Hopefully I'll eat it before it becomes Telengana Biriyani.

I struck off item one on the list - McDonald's. I had a mexican chicken roll, some fries and some Coke. It wasn't my Coke actually, I spilled mine and got stares from the sweeper (probably because I'm irresistible) and my friend gave me some of his Coke.

There are still two more items on the list. 5 more holidays. Wish me good luck. And a good appetite.

***

After reading my Kanthasamy review on my blog, an avid reader asked me to review Vettaikaran. My heart was in no condition for it though. However I did get a sneak peek into Vijay's intro scene. It goes like this: A man is running. I know its Vijay. I hear sirens. Then I see a police jeep racing up. I think the jeep is chasing Vijay. But lo! Its not the jeep that is chasing Vijay but its Vijay that's chasing the jeep! Somehow, the policeman in the jeep manages to lose Vijay using his horse-powered engine. Would Vijay give up? No! He finds a horse, takes a short cut, and catches upto the policeman with his horse's power, jumps directly to the backseat, some dialogues, then jumps directly to the front seat and drags him to a hospital. Then I learn that Vijay is teaching a lesson to the drunk policeman who ran over an old man. Cut to a song sequence, in the beginning of which Vijay breaks a pillar stone with his bare hands.

Since when did Vijay start doing superhero roles?

Since I couldn't get the genre right for this movie, I can't review it. But I did find some praise for the movie in some popular review sites:

www.tamilnow.com: "...But, it's slightly average than his previous flicks - 'Kuruvi' and 'Villu'. Possibly, you would be curious to know whether Vijay has imitated anything from Telugu actor Mahesh Babu. Of course, he has aped certain style of uttering dialogues as the same way he does. Indeed, there's a particular shot of breaking a pillar stone just in bare hands (Mahesh Babu in 'Athadu')."

entertainment.oneindia.in: "another B grade flick from Vijay's factory of Mass Masala!...Hard times continues for Vijay.. better luck in Sura!"

I did find one positive review from www.merinews.com which said "If you don't get a chance to go to the theatres, do download the movie Vettaikaran."

Too bad for Vijay, even he wouldn't have thought competition would come from a movie like Avatar.

Ciao

1 comment:

  1. i like kfc 2 :) and try watching vettaikaran fully, hav heard som sayin..a gud laughter is a gr8 thing :)
    (i bet none delivers more funny dialogues other dan vijay in such a serious tone..)
    keep blogging :)

    ReplyDelete